Sunday, July 17, 2011

Horse-Drawn Carriage Ride

One of the most romantic things we did all week was our horse-drawn carriage ride at Port Orleans Riverside. It was a nice way to end the week.

We took a taxi there so we didn't have to deal with multiple buses to get there late at night. That was a really wise choice because it took us no time at all.

As we got there they told us we just needed to walk through the hotel and wait. I realized I had forgotten my camera so the photos here are from my phone and in the dark. We were too excited to be too disappointed.

Donnie


We didn't have to wait long as the first buggy returned. We watched what they did and then our buggy returned. Jim snapped a few shots while our horse got a drink and I settled our bill. We had a female driver (I apologize for not getting her name.) and I believe our horses name was Donnie.

Donnie


She held the buggy steady for us to get in and we both had a seat. It is interesting to note that there is a sign posted saying tips are not expected or accepted. I had wondered how to handle it here since we pre-paid and I appreciated Disney making it clear.

Our carriage


She asked us where we were from and if we were celebrating an anniversary (which we were). She was very nice but after that it was a very quiet ride around the grounds of New Orleans. We enjoyed it both because we haven't stayed there and because it was such a unique way to see things. It really felt like the way Walt would have liked people to see things around his parks. Okay, now you can think I'm strange but it was a very authentic moment.

If you're looking for something not everyone experiences, the horse-drawn carriage ride is one option.

After about 25 minutes we pulled back to the center courtyard and Donnie stopped. Our driver tied down the carriage and we were able to get out. A perfectly romantic ending to a great 10 days together.

No comments:

Post a Comment